- About Us
- Citing and Writing
You are here
This Copyright Portal, hosted by the Arthur A. Wishart Library, attempts to address the relationship between copyright law and the work of Algoma University's library in order to best promote research, teaching, learning and library services.
The information offered here seeks to:
1. Address issues related to fair dealing, copyright ownership, and publishing arrangements in furtherance of higher education and the advancement of knowledge;
2. Provide copyright information and education resources for the university community; and
3. Support innovative policies, practices, and contracts to foster the creation, preservation, and accessibility of information resources;
We hope you find this Portal a helpful source of information as you navigate the complex work of copyright. It is designed to assist you in learning about copyright in order that you can address the copyright issues that are important for your scholarly work. We welcome your comments and suggestions. Before requesting assistance, please consider the following:
1. Copyright is a campus wide issue; and each person -- faculty, staff, student, or community member -- has responsibilities for understanding how the law effects them and their work;
2. The Library does not manage copyright for the whole campus; other areas such as the Office of the Dean, the Book Store, Information and Technology Services, etc. are impacted by copyright;
3. Most of the questions that the Library receives are about course materials and reserves, fair dealing, copyright ownership, public performance rights, or other such matters. This Portal has information on these issues and more. Please take a minute to review the relevant materials on the website before forwarding a question.
4. Please understand that we can only offer general copyright information and education — we are not lawyers, and cannot offer legal advice.
Questions concerning copyright should be addressed to: copyright(at)algomau(dot)ca.